Indulge in a truly Canadian delight, with a cannabis kick, with these irresistible Cannanaimo Bars! Named after the picturesque city of Nanaimo in British Columbia, these layered treats are a perfect combination of chocolatey goodness, creamy custard filling, and a delectable coconut and graham cracker base. Whether you’re a fan of classic desserts or looking to impress your friends and family with a delicious homemade treat, this Nanaimo Bar recipe is a must-try. Get ready to experience a taste of Canada with every delectable bite!
For the base:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted cannabutter, softened (see our cannabutter recipe)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder (or instant vanilla pudding mix)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
For the chocolate topping:
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional: use your home made cannabutter)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and beaten egg. Mix well until smooth.
- Stir in the graham cracker crumbs, shredded coconut, and chopped nuts (if using) until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×9-inch baking dish. Use the back of a spoon or your fingers to firmly press the mixture down.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the filling by creaming together the softened butter, vanilla custard powder, powdered sugar, and milk. Mix until smooth and creamy. Add more milk if needed to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the filling evenly over the base layer in the baking dish. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth the top.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the semisweet chocolate and butter. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring well after each interval, until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the filling layer, spreading it evenly with a spatula to cover the entire surface.
- Place the baking dish in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until the bars are firm.
- Once the Nanaimo bars are chilled and set, remove them from the refrigerator. Let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles.
- Serve and enjoy these delectable Nanaimo Bars! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
These Cannanaimo Bars are a classic Canadian treat that combines a rich chocolatey base, a creamy custard filling, a smooth chocolate topping and a kick of THC that will leave you on your butt. They’re sure to be a hit!